Morrinsville Heritage Trail
This land was gifted to Morrinsville shortly after the constitution of the Borough, by Mr and Mrs George Howie as a memorial to those who had died in the 1914-18 war. Mr George Howie had previously taken title to Lockerbie Homestead farm on the 5th March 1908 for a brief period. Later he purchased 120 acres at the eastern end of Morrinsville, the property including the previous home of Mr. John Clifford. Mr Howie became chairman of the Morrinsville Town board during 1913-1918, and Deputy-Mayor for the Morrinsville Borough Council’s first term in 1921 and its Mayor 1923-35. The cenotaph was erected in 1922 and unveiled by Viscount Bledisloe then Governor-General. The park now contains many trees planted on special occasions, or as memorials.
Prior to 1921 local farmers took their cream to a creamery in Studholme St and from there it was transported by rail to Frankton Junction butter factory. The local suppliers formed a Co-Op and the original factory was built on this site in 1921. It was the fourth factory in the district, following the opening of the Norfolk Co-Op at Motumaoho in 1912, the Tatua Co-Op at Tatuanui in 1914 and Kiwitahi in 1919. It operated as the Morrinsville Co-Operative Diary Company Ltd with the Lockerbie trade mark, until it was taken over by the NZ Diary Group in August 1991.
Viewed from the southern end of Canada Street, the Lockerbie Bulk Store is located on the far side of the railway tracks. It was built for Thomas Morrin for storage of the Lockerbie Estate’s seed orders and produce. After the break up of the estate the store was sold to Carr Poutney of Auckland and to a local man Mr F Stretton, they traded as Carr, Stretton and Co. It is now used for storage and as a builder shed.
View from Canada Street South. This building was sited across the rail tracks and was built in 1922 in opposition to the Morrinsville Diary Co situated on the town side of the tracks. For several years, it imported cream from outside the district, producing butter until it was shut down ion the late 1950s. The milk of its suppliers was then taken by tankers to the Waitoa Diary Factory.
The first house was built where the Studholme Street/Allen Street intersection is now formed. It was built by Mr J. Harp for Mr F. J. Marshall who in 1887 bought Rowe’s butchery in Studholme Street. Mr Marshall was a commissioner on Morrinsville’s first Town Board (1908) and was appointed as the first mayor when the Morrinsville Borough Council was formed in 1921.
The home was part of a much larger T B Sanatorium complex, commenced by Dr Bernstein in 1919. In 1929, it was sold to Dr King who operated it until 1947, then selling the practice to Dr Armitage who ran a general practice from a house sited on the corner of Allen Street. The Nurses’ Home was used to accommodate two or three nurses.