Volunteer Youth Ambassadors
Matamata-Piako Volunteer Youth Ambassadors (VYA) was established in 2017, with funding support from Ministry for Youth Development, to be the voice of youth around the council table and to positively promote youth in our community. The VYA is made up of young people aged 12 to 24 who live, work , study or play in Matamata-Piako District.
What does the VYA do?
- Youth Awards
- Volunteer Youth events
- Youth Leadership camps / training
- Promotes awareness on issues impacting on youth and young people
- Encourages positive views and opinions of young people and their achievements
- Participates in community activities and consultations
- and more
In 2017 VYA consisted of three Y13 students from each of Matamata, Morrinsville and Te Aroha Colleges. The team planned and organised community presentations, worked collaboratively with Waikato Institute for Leisure and Sport Studies and the intermediate schools in our district to run an Intermediate Leadership Programme, and they proudly presented the Inaugural Matamata-Piako VYA Youth Awards (link to Youth Awards page on the website).
If you would like more information about our youth development work, contact us on 07 884 0060
Joining the VYA
You can apply to join the Volunteer Youth Ambassadors if you;
- are between 12 and 24 years old
- either live, work or study in Matamata-Piako District
- are able to commit to attending the monthly meetings and projects throughout the whole year
- want to make a difference with the Youth in the district.
- want to participates in community activities and consultations
If you are under 18 your parent or guardian will need to give their consent for you to join.