Motor homes and caravans are a popular way for visitors to see our district. There are plenty of places in the district for visitors to stay the night or for a few days.
The following reserves also provide space for informal camping, however, motorhomes MUST be self contained (have their own toilet and water supply on board):
- Te Aroha Council Office, Kenrick St (on the gravel car park at the rear of the building)
- Morrinsville Recreation Ground (main car park)
- Low cost camping facilities are available at Firth Tower Museum.
Campervan Dump Stations
We ask that visitors travelling in motor homes dispose of their wastewater responsibly by visiting a dump station. Dump Stations are small facilities that are connected to the reticulated sewerage system, and help to protect the environment by ensuring waste from motor homes is disposed of correctly.
Council provides three dump stations in the Matamata-Piako District. They are located at:
- Te Aroha - Te Aroha Boat Ramp Reserve, Terminus Street
- Matamata - Hetana Street Reserve, Hetana Street
- Morrinsville - Morrinsville Recreation Grounds, Cureton Street
If you are travelling further than just through the Matamata-Piako District, the Ministry of Tourism publishes a guide that lists the locations of dump stations for black & grey waste water all around New Zealand. Click here to access this guide online