Where to find information in an emergency
In an emergency we will use the following channels to keep you informed:
- This website (for local emergencies)
- Our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/MatamataPiakoDistrictCouncil)
- Radio - we work with Radio New Zealand, Newstalk ZB, and Classic Hits. To find radio frequencies in your area go to frequencyfinder.co.nz.
- Text messaging (see below for how to subscribe to text alerts)
Subscribe for text alerts
You can subscribe to receive emergency text alerts from Council (such as civil defence warnings/updates, or major problems such as water main breaks).
To sign up, simply text any of the following options to 5801:
- ‘subscribe emergency’ for emergency alerts for the whole district
- ‘subscribe matamata’ for emergency alerts for the Matamata area
- ‘subscribe morrinsville’ for emergency alerts for the Morrinsville area
- ‘subscribe tearoha’ for emergency alerts for the Te Aroha area (there is no space in the keyword tearoha
Thames Valley Combined Civil Defence Group
Matamata-Piako District Council is part of the Thames Valley Combined Civil Defence group. This group is made up of MPDC, Hauraki District Council and Thames Coromandel District Council.
Council is responsible for the preparation of plans and programmes to:
- Reduce the identifiable hazards/risks
- Train staff to respond to any emergency event
- Coordinate any such response in cooperation in other emergency and welfare agencies, and
- Coordinate the immediate, medium and long term rehabilitation of the community, following a disaster.
Waikato Region Civil Defence Emergency Management Group
The Waikato Region Civil Defence Emergency Management Group’s website brings together all the information you need to prepare yourself and your family to get ready for and get through a disaster.
You will also find the latest information on the hazards and risks facing the Waikato region.