Rubbish and Recycling information during Alert Level 2 (from 8 September 2021)
There will be no changes to kerbside rubbish and recycling collections during Alert Level 2. Please put your rubbish, glass and recycling out as usual, on your usual collection day. Please do not place rubbish bags in your wheelie bin.
Transfer Stations during COVID-19 Alert Level 2 (from 8 September 2021)
- All Refuse Transfer Stations will be open the normal days and normal operating hours
- Cash will not be accepted - eftpos and paywave only
- Masks must be worn at all times. Anyone not wearing a mask will not be permitted to enter the RTS
- Transfer stations will accept all types of waste (e.g. rubbish, recycling, and green waste)
- Recycling sorting centres are reopening at Level 2 – please ensure recyclables are clean so they can be recycled. Please note that face masks cannot be recycled.
- If you ordered a bin from Smart Environmental at Alert Level 4, these will no longer be delivered and collected for free as the Refuse Transfer Stations are now open. If you want to keep your bin and continue to have it collected, there will be a charge for this service.
Normal Opening Hours
Transfer stations are open from 10am to 4pm on selected days:
- Matamata Transfer Station - 220b Tauranga Road - 07 888 5700 Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat & Sun
- Morrinsville Transfer Station - 168b Roache Road - 07 889 3401 Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun
- Waihou Transfer Station - 4277 State Highway 26 - 07 884 8831 Wed, Fri & Sun
All transfer stations will be closed on Good Friday, Anzac Day (until 1pm - transfer stations will be open after 1pm on ANZAC Day), Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day and 2 January.
Domestic quantities (up to 10 litres) of hazardous waste and oil can also be disposed of for $18 at the transfer stations, including solvents (labelled), cleaning fluids (labelled), paints, car batteries and oils. Fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides my also be disposed of if they are placed in a sealed, clear plastic bag and labelled. Larger quantities may be accepted by prior arrangement.
The following things can be disposed of at transfer stations:
- General refuse
- Organic waste
- Scrap steel (free depending on the amount)
- Vehicle tyres (excluding rims and inner tubes): car, 4WD or light truck, truck, tractor (less than 40"), tractor (40" or more). Please note: whole tyres only. Cut tyres will not be accepted
Charges are based on weight rather than volume. All vehicles pass over a weigh bridge and a fee is applied according to the weight of the refuse or green-waste. A minimum charge is applied for small loads.
Please see pages 20-21 of the fees and charges document for more information. There is no charge for recycling or refuse in official Matamata-Piako District Council rubbish bags.
- Credit card
- Cash - very little cash is held on the premises. We encourage customers to pay by card where possible (cash not accepted at Alert Level 2)
Please note that we do not accept cheques.