The district has Refuse Transfer Stations and Recycling Centres at Matamata, Morrinsville and Waihou. Free recycling facilities are available at all three sites for recycling grade 1 to 7.
Transfer stations are open from 10am to 4pm on selected days:
- Matamata: Tauranga Rd, 07 888 5700, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat & Sun
- Morrinsville: Roache Rd, 07 889 3401, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun
- Te Aroha: State Highway 26, Waihou, 07 884 8831, Wed, Fri & Sun
All transfer stations will be closed on Good Friday, Anzac Day (until 1pm - transfer stations will be open after 1pm on ANZAC Day), Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day and 2 January.
Domestic quantities (up to 10 litres) of hazardous waste and oil can also be disposed of for $5 at the transfer stations, including solvents (labelled), cleaning fluids (labelled), paints, car batteries and oils. Fertilisers, herbicides and pesticides my also be disposed of if they are placed in a sealed, clear plastic bag and labelled. Larger quantities may be accepted by prior arrangement.
The following things can be disposed of at transfer stations (charges below):
- General Refuse
- Organic Waste
- Scrap Steel (free depending on the amount)
- Vehicle tyres (excluding rims and inner tubes): car - $8, 4WD or light truck - $10, truck - $20, tractor (less than 40") - $45, tractor (40" or more) - $75. Please note: Whole tyres only. Cut tyres will not be accepted.
- Whiteware - $10 per item
Charges are based on weight rather than volume. All vehicles pass over a weigh bridge and a fee is applied according to the weight of the refuse or green-waste. A minimum charge is applied for small loads. See table below.
There is no charge for recycling or refuse in official Matamata-Piako District Council rubbish bags.
|Charges||Sorted approved recyclables||
$2 or free if in an official MPDC refuse bag
Applies for bags up to 60L - larger bags will be weighed
|Car, utes, all vehicles/ trailers||Free||
$167 per tonne
Minimum Charge $17
$73 per tonne
Minimum charge $7