The Rates Rebate Scheme was established by the Government in 1973 to provide a subsidy of up to $665 on rates for low income earners. Your rebate will be calculated based on your income, rates and how many dependants you have. The Government, following a review of the scheme, has further increased the rates rebate thresholds for the 2021/2022 rating year.
The following changes came into effect on 1 July 2021:
- Maximum allowable rates rebate will increase to $665
- Income threshold increased to $26,510
When applying for a rates rebate please bring with you:
- a copy of your 2021/22 Matamata-Piako District Council rates account (available from August 2021)
- a copy of your 2021/22 Waikato Regional Council rates account (available from September 2021) call 0800 800 401
- a copy of your Income Certificate from Inland Revenue for the 2020/2021 year from 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021. Please supply certificates for any spouse/partner or joint home owner who lives in the dwelling with you. Contact Inland Revenue on 0800 257 777.
- a copy of any certificates stating interest earned on investments to 31 March 2021
You cannot apply for a rebate if:
- the property is used principally for farming, commercial, industrial or business purposes
- the property is a rental
- you have already applied for a rebate in the current rating year
- you do not qualify as a legal ratepayer
The last day to apply for the 2021/22 year is 30 June 2022. Appointments for the 2021/22 year are available from September 2021, please contact Customer Services on 0800 746 467 to find out more information or to book an appointment. For further information on the Rates Rebate scheme, visit the Department of Internal Affairs.
Please note the different ways we will be operating under the COVID levels:
- Alert Level 3 and 4 - offices will be closed, phone us on 0800 746 467 to discuss options
- at Alert Level 2 and Alert Level 1 - offices open, please phone us to book an appointment. At these levels, we have protocols in place to prevent any potential spread of COVID-19
- please do not attend your appointment if you are unwell or displaying flu like symptoms
- face coverings are strongly encouraged if you are in close contact with others
- please scan the QR codes using the COVID tracing app OR we will ask you to provide your details for our contact tracing register - at Alert Level 1, this will not be necessary