Return to home page

Rapid growth is causing delays in resource consents, engineering approval, subdivision approval and responses to general planning enquiries. 

Subdivision Consents

If you want to subdivide your land, you need to apply for a subdivision consent.

The rules for subdivision are complicated and there is no standard answer as to whether it will be possible for you to subdivide your land. These rules are contained within Section 6 of the Matamata-Piako District Plan.

In most cases (but not always) it may be possible to subdivide:

  • A rural lot of 40 ha (100 acres) from a farm, as long as the balance after subdivision is also still at least 40 ha (100 acres);
  • A residentially zoned section in town, as long as the site is big enough to allow 500m2 exclusive use of land per dwelling.

Please note that this information is generalised, so should not be relied on as fact – every subdivision is different.

How to Apply

If you are considering subdividing your land, we recommend that you consult with the Duty Planner, as a first step. They will be able to give you general advice about the requirements of the District Plan and answer any questions you may have. This initial consultation won't cost you anything and may save you time and money later on.

When you wish to proceed with the application, the next step is to consult with a surveyor or other suitably qualified person. A surveyor will also usually be able to give you an indication of the costs of the subdivision.


All Resource Consents are charged out at actual costs incurred and actual costs will vary.

Minor subdivision deposit (1-9 lots) - $2000

Major subdivision deposit (10 lots +) - $5000

Boundary adjustment deposit - $2000

Variation to subdivision consent -

Limited notified application deposit - $4000

Publicly notified application deposit - $6000

Development Contributions

When subdividing you may also be required to pay Development Contributions (DC's).

How much DC's will cost depends on the type of development and the area that it is in. DC's are charged based on 'Household Equivalent Units (HEU's)' - in general terms this means that if a development that has the impact on infrastructure of one house it will pay DC's for one HEU. Larger developments will pay more HEU's depending on the size of the development (because they will have a greater impact on infrastructure).