Have Your Say
Long Term Plan
We're currently seeking feedback on our Long Term Plan, including some major proposals:
- We are in a sound financial position and we would like to keep it that way. As part of our financial strategy we have set a rates limit of a 4% increase each year - however we may need to exceed this in some years of the Plan.
- We want to do more to support economic development in our region and district.
- During the life of this plan we need to make some big decisions about the future of the Matamata and Morrinsville bypasses.
- We are proposing to do things differently to encourage waste minimisation.
- We plan to allocate new funding to focus on the ‘little things’ that help make our district a great place to live. There are also plans to develop side trails to the Te Aroha to Matamata cycleway, and extend it to Piarere. We also plan to complete major repairs and maintenance to Headon Stadium, as well as allocate a proposed additional $2 million for a new indoor sports centre in Matamata.
Revenue and Financing Policy
This policy sets how Council will fund each activity we deliver and why. We have reviewed this policy and are proposing changes, including making rubbish and recycling services more ‘user-pays’.
Development Contributions Policy
We charge Development Contributions to people who are developing property to ensure that developers share the costs caused by their developments (such as additional roads, increased capacity for water and wastewater etc.). The Development Contributions Policy indicates which projects will be funded from development contributions and how the fees will be calculated.
Rates Remission and Postponement Policies
Council has nine different types of rates remission and postponement policies, which reduce the rates we charge or postpone collection of rates in a range of circumstances. Some of the key changes we are proposing to these policies are:
- adding a full remission for properties with a land value of less than $500
- removing the remission of the Uniform Annual General Charge for properties where the owners of one property are private individuals and the related property is held in the applicant’s family trust
- adding two extra policies (covering abandoned land and natural disasters and emergencies).
- Read about the proposed changes
- Read the draft Policy
- Make a submission
Fees and charges 2018/19
We review our fees and charges annually. Most fees have either remained the same this year or have been increased based on inflation. Key changes include cemetery plot fees, adding a ‘no refund policy’ for cancellations of venue hire within seven days of an event, setting fees for the new Matamata-Piako Civic and Memorial Centre, Resource Management Act fees, and reducing the costs of rubbish bags and increasing transfer station fees.
Opportunities to engage with Councillors on these topics
Come and talk with your local Councillors and staff at one of these events:
Councillor cafe sessions, 4 April, 10am–11am:
- Morrinsville – Loxy and Co, 292 Thames Street.
- Matamata – Robert Harris, 47/49 Broadway
- Te Aroha – Austin’s Café and Bar, 174 Whitaker St
Morrinsville Country Market – Saturday 7 April, 8.30am–12.30pm, Canada Street.
Waihou RDA Country Market– Sunday 8 April, 9.30am–1.30pm, Waihou Tavern Car Park.
Matamata-Piako Civic and Memorial Centre opening – 14 April, 12pm-4pm, Tainui Street, Matamata.
Plan Your Town
We are currently reviewing our District Plan one section at a time. For further information on the sections that have been reviewed or are currently being reviewed, look at the Plan Your Town page.
Council makes decisions that affect everyone in our community. To ensure Council is making decisions that reflect what the community wants and needs, we need your input. Providing us with feedback is one way residents can make a positive contribution to the Matamata-Piako District and help Council to remain fair and effective. Sign up for email notifications about the town, topics or documents that you're interested in. We promise to only send you emails when we have something important to share (i.e. you won't get emails from us every day or every week), and you can subscribe to new lists or unsubscribe as it suits you.