Most fires are detected by the general public or property owners. If you become aware of a fire:
- If you are in a building, get down, get low and get out
- dial 111 and ask for Fire.
- stay well clear of the fire. Do not go back into the building under any circumstances
- do not try and extinguish the fire
- send someone to the roadside to meet the emergency services.
The operator in the Fire and Emergency New Zealand control room will take all the necessary details and send the nearest Fire and Emergency New Zealand Brigade.