Dog registration fees reflect our policy of funding 80% of the cost of dog control through user charges (‘user pays’) and 20% through rates.
- Full registration fee: $116
- Minus rebates if applicable
- Late payment (after 31 July) will result in a 50% penalty fee. An infringement fine of $300 for keeping an unregistered dog may also be issued.
Want to pay less fees? Rebates
Rebates are used to reward responsible dog owners. These rebates include:
- No complaints rebate - $35 rebate: Every owner is automatically eligible for this rebate unless a dog you own has been impounded during the previous and/or current registration year*, your registration fees weren't paid on time or we have received a complaint that has been followed up and found to be justified.
- Desexed/working/New Zealand Kennel Club (NZKC) breeder rebate– total $30 rebate: If you have previously received this rebate you will automatically be eligible. You can only claim one of the desexed/working dog/NZ Kennel Club breeder rebates per dog. To claim this rebate you must provide either a copy of a vet certificate for a desexed dog rebate, complete a working dog declaration form or provide your annual NZ Kennel Club breeder papers.
- Responsible Owner Rebate - $15 rebate: If you have previously received a responsible owner's rebate you will automatically be eligible for this rebate unless a dog you own has been impounded during the previous and/or current registration year*, we have received a complaint that has been followed up and found to be justified or you don't pay your fees before 31 July. If you've never had a responsible owner's rebate you can apply for one at any Council office by completing a short test, signing the terms and conditions form, and having your property inspected by one of our Animal Control Officers. If you have an urban property your section must be fully fenced to qualify.
*Registration year runs from 1 July to 30 June.