You may browse and access information contained on our site without providing personally identifiable information. However, when you visit our site we do collect statistical information about your visit. This information is used to help us improve the site and for no other purpose. Information about your visit is combined with the data from all our visitors and is anonymous. It includes, but is not limited to:
- Your top level domain name (e.g. .co.nz, or .org)
- The search terms you used
- The pages you accessed on our website and the links you clicked on
- The date and time you visited the site
- The previous site you visited
- Your operating system (e.g. Windows, Mac)
- The type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
You may be asked to submit certain personal information in order to receive or use services from the Matamata-Piako District Council. We may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Replying to your queries.
- Processing your application for registration for use of our services or to gain access to information on this Website made available only to registered users.
- Providing you with information about Council and our services
- Providing you with services.
- Complying with relevant legislation and regulations.
- Any specific purpose which we notify you of at the time personal data is collected.
- Processing transactions that you may conduct through the Website.
Where you provide personally identifiable information we will hold your personal information in accordance with the requirements set out in the Privacy Act 2020. In particular:
- Your personal information will be used only for the purposes for which it is collected and will be retained only for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which the information was collected (including any time that we are required by law to retain such information).
- We will not release your personal information to any third party except where required to, permitted to, by law (such as under the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987), where you have authorised us to do so or where disclosure is connected to the purpose for which the information was collected.
- Should your information be disclosed by MPDC or any authorised 3rd party and have the potential to cause harm, the breach will be recorded in our Privacy Register, the breach will be investigated, then depending of the level or nature of the breach reported to the commission and to you
- Information supplied in relation to District Plan Changes and similar processes under the Resource Management Act may be published with all personal data included. This is specific to the legal processes of a Plan Change.
Matamata-Piako District Council stores personal data electronically and in paper form. The personal data is kept safe and secure using generally accepted standards of security.
Personal information we may request will depend on the purpose of the request and how we are obtaining the information – be it on a physical form, or via a website, or other electronic web or cloud based service.
Information usually required can be any of the options below
- Address (this can be your full address or just the town or community you live in)
- Phone number/s
- Age (usually range based)
- and very occasionally gender, this is normally to ensure a consultation has reached a range of people where it will help with good decisionmaking
For certain processes we undertake for other Government departments we can also ask for
- Date of Birth (Animal Control Act)
- Criminal Record (Sale & Supply of Alcohol Act)
You can ask to see the personal information and request that we make a correction to personal information that we hold about you. Should you wish to do so please make a request in writing to:
Information Team Leader
Matamata-Piako District Council
PO Box 266