Rural Fire

The current fire season is: Open

This means you can light a fire in the open air without a fire permit from the Thames Valley Rural Fire Authority.

Any fire you light is your responsibility...

Escaped fires have cost individuals responsible for lighting them more than $250,000 in fire fighting costs. Make sure you carry the appropriate insurance including Forest and Rural Fires Act fire suppression cover.

If you wish to light a fire in a rural area – know the current fire danger and the fire season in your area by contacting your local Rural Fire Authority.

c'mon keep it greenRural Fire Authorities are:

  • The Department of Conservation
  • NZ Defence Force
  • Rural Fire Districts
  • Local Councils.

Your Rural Fire Authority will:

  • Inform you of the current fire danger and fire season
  • Inspect proposed burn sites
  • Assist you to prepare a prescribed burn plan forsignificant controlled burn offs.

Urban fire districts – if you wish to light a fire in an urban fire district (in town) contact us to find out what rules apply.