Councillors & Mayor
The Matamata-Piako District Council is made up of twelve elected members from three wards - Te Aroha, Morrinsville and Matamata. There are three Councillors from Te Aroha, four from Morrinsville and four from Matamata, and a Mayor who may be from any town within the district.
The Council meets once a month (or more regularly if necessary), their role includes:
- setting major policy such as Council’s Long Term Plan
- appointing and monitoring the performance of the Chief Executive
- approving major contracts
- making decisions on matters that aren’t delegated to committees or council staff
- building iwi relationships.
The Mayor has the legislative power to:
- provide leadership to Councillors and people in the Matamata-Piako district
- lead the development of council plans, policies and budgets
- appoint the deputy mayor
- establish council committees
- appoint chairs to council committees.
Through doing these things Council develops a vision and strategic direction for the wider community. To see who your local Councillors are and how to get in touch with them, click here