Murray Oaks Scenic Reserve
This reserve is located on the corner of Murray Road and State Highway 26 approximately one kilometre northeast of Morrinsville. It is bisected by the old Frankton-Thames Railway.
The reserve consists of a large flat grassed area that features a large stand of mature and semi mature Oaks (Quercus robur and Q. palustris) as well as a picnic table. The oaks are identified as notable trees in the District Plan.
Formerly the Piako Railway Station site, the reserve was released by New Zealand Railways in 1975. The name “Murray” came from an early Scottish settler, Mr William Murray, who was quite possibly the first European settler in the area over 120 years ago. He was not, however, the original land purchaser from the Tangata Whenua and later sold the land to Mr W. S. Allen in 1885 and moved to found a new settlement called Glen Murray near Rangiriri.
It is doubtful that the oaks were planted by Mr Murray as the railway line to Morrinsville was only completed in 1884. They were however, of a reasonable size by 1910, evident in a photo taken at that time.
Murray Oaks is a popular venue for holding events and markets - contact us to make a booking.