Rubbish & Recycling
Matamata-Piako District Council has a weekly rubbish and recycling collection service for 9250 households and businesses in the district. If you are unsure whether the collection includes your property phone Customer Services on 0800 746 467.
Your rubbish and
- Your black rubbish bags, which are collected weekly. Your rubbish bags are for anything that should go to landfill (so try not to put anything in here that could be recycled). The rubbish bag system changed on 1 July 2018 - you can find out more about the changes here.
recycling collection includes:
- Your green crate (for glass only), which is collected fortnightly
- Your wheelie bin (for all other recyclables) which is also collected fortnightly
Please remember rubbish and recycling collections this week will be one later following the Queens Birthday weekend.
The regular collection days are:
- Thursday: Te Aroha township (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 2)
- Friday: Matamata, Waharoa, Walton, Tamihana (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 2)
- Friday: Morrinsville, Waihou, Waitoa, Mangateparu, Tahuna (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 1)
View the recycling calendar (pdf, 11mb)
To help with the rubbish collection and ensure your rubbish is picked up, please:
- Place bags and bins on kerbside by 7.30am on your collection day, ensuring they can be easily seen from the road
- Place your bin at least half a metre from other objects (this is so the wheelie bin truck can empty it)
- Make sure you use only official Matamata-Piako District Council rubbish bags (20kg max per bag)
- Make sure your rubbish bag is tied up at the top
- Make sure your wheelie bin lid is closed
- Do not put out any broken glass