Rubbish and recycling in Matamata-Piako
During COVID-19 Orange (from 3 December 2021)
There will be no changes to kerbside rubbish and recycling collections at Orange. Please put your rubbish, glass and recycling out as usual, on your usual collection day. Please do not place rubbish bags in your wheelie bin.
Transfer Stations during COVID-19 Orange (from 3 December 2021)
- All Refuse Transfer Stations will be open the normal days and normal operating hours
- Cash will not be accepted - eftpos and paywave only
- Masks must be worn at all times. Anyone not wearing a mask will not be permitted to enter the Refuse Transfer Station
- Transfer stations will accept all types of waste (e.g. rubbish, recycling, and green waste)
- Recycling sorting centres are open at Orange – please ensure recyclables are clean so they can be recycled. Please note that face masks cannot be recycled
Transfer stations are open from 10am to 4pm on selected days: (operating under COVID-19 Orange Government guidelines - read above)
Matamata - 220b Tauranga Rd, 07 888 5700; Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat & Sun
Morrinsville - 168b Roache Rd, 07 889 3401; Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun
Te Aroha - 4277 State Highway 26, Waihou, 07 884 8831; Wed, Fri & Sun
All transfer stations are closed on Good Friday, Anzac Day (from 1pm on ANZAC Day), Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and 2 January. To receive notifications on all your collection dates, including changes due to public holidays, download the Antenno App from Google Play or the App Store.
Normal collection days
Kerbside collections happen on the following days in our district:
- Thursday: Te Aroha township (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 2)
- Friday: Matamata, Waharoa, Walton, Tamihana (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 2)
- Friday: Morrinsville, Waihou, Waitoa, Mangateparu, Tahuna (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 1).
Map of collection zones
When there is a long weekend/public holdiay kerbside collections change. We notify you of these changes through our website, email and through the Antenno App. If you would like to receive notifications straight to your phone about kerbside collections each week, you can find out more information here.
Kerbside collection requirements
How to make sure your rubbish is always able to be collected:
To help with the rubbish collection and ensure your rubbish is picked up, please:
- Place bags and bins on kerbside by 7.30am on your collection day, ensuring they can be easily seen from the road
- Place your bin at least half a metre from other objects (this is so the wheelie bin truck can empty it)
- Make sure you use only official Matamata-Piako District Council rubbish bags (10kg max per bag)
- Make sure your rubbish bag is tied up at the top
- Make sure your wheelie bin lid is closed
- Do not put out any broken glass
- Do not place your rubbish bag on top of the wheelie bin
Rubbish bag, wheelie bins and glass crates
Matamata-Piako District Council has a weekly rubbish and recycling collection service for 9,250 households and businesses in the district. If you are unsure whether the collection includes your property, phone Customer Services on 0800 746 467.
Your rubbish and recycling collection includes:
- Your *pink rubbish bags, which are collected weekly. Your rubbish bags are for anything that should go to landfill (so try not to put anything in here that could be recycled).
- Your green crate (for glass only), which is collected fortnightly
- Your wheelie bin (for all other approved recyclables including plastic 1, 2 and 5, cans, tins and paper and cardboard) which is also collected fortnightly.
*Our kerbside rubbish bags are now pink and are the same size as the black bags. If you still have black MPDC bags you can continue to use them until they are gone.