Return to home page

Trade Waste


Matamata-Piako District Council operates community wastewater networks to protect community health and the environment. How well the wastewater network operates is dependent on what is being discharged into it. There are two broad categories of wastes being discharged into the wastewater network being domestic wastewater and trade waste.

Trade waste is wastewater discharged from non-residential properties, and any residential properties with home activities that are discharging wastewater that is not of the same nature as domestic wastewater. Our Trade Waste Bylaw 2008 (amended 2020) lays out the process for managing trade waste.

In 2021, Matamata-Piako District Council joined with Co-Lab Water Services to better implement the Trade Waste Bylaw.

Trade waste consents

Any business in the Matamata-Piako District that discharges trade waste into the sewerage system, will need to comply with Council’s Trade Waste Bylaw by obtaining a Trade Waste Consent.

The purpose of issuing trade waste consents is to ensure that any discharges to the sewer are of an acceptable standard, and to ensure pre-treatment devices (such as grease traps, or oil and grit interceptors) are installed where needed, and that these devices are regularly maintained.

The Trade Waste Bylaw also allows Council to charge businesses for trade waste discharges to ensure the costs of managing the wastes discharged are charged fairly.

Fees and charges

Trade waste consent fees are charged for the administration of consents.

Some businesses, depending on the nature of the wastewater discharged, may also have other charges applied to cover the cost of downstream treatment and disposal of the wastewater discharged.

See our schedule of fees and charges (and go to the Wastewater section on page 20)

Applications for trade waste consent

Every business discharging trade waste is required to complete an Application for Trade Waste Discharge .

The information provided in the application process will allow us to access what type of consent is required and what the conditions of consent may be.

If you are unsure if your business requires a trade waste consent, please complete the application form anyway and our assessor can review the information provided and get in touch if needed.

Matamata-Piako District Council is not obliged to accept any trade waste discharge, particularly if this discharge would have a significantly negative effect on the sewerage system.


For further information or enquires please contact a Trade Waste Officer:

Phone: 0800 357 358

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.